Wednesday, April 2, 2014

He Who Has Ears Let Him Hear

Source


Word of God speak

Would you pour down like rain

Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty.
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness.
Word of God speak.

Confession

Back in early January, I had a crazy idea.  Well, I thought it was from the Lord - but I wasn't quite sure.  It just seemed a little too weird.

Because it was so weird I knew I could be sure it was from the Lord.

Or, that it was my weirdness coming through.

See, I had this crazy idea that I should send a meal (like, order it to be delivered) to a "Facebook friend" I didn't actually know who lived half way across the country from me.  She seemed to be having a stressful time, and her status updates appeared to communicate much stress and not much support in her life.  I knew, from Facebook, the city in which she lived, and I looked at some places that could take her and her family breakfast.

But it seemed so weird.  I mean, why would God put that on my heart?  I figured it probably was just me being...weird.



At any rate, I didn't know her address and it just seemed...well, weird, to message someone I don't know and tell them God put it on my heart to send them a meal.  I mean, stalker alert, anyone?

So, I negotiated with God:  "Lord, I don't know where this woman lives...so if you really want me to send her a meal, you'll need to get me her address."

And...you know our God.  He did.

Within a day or so she posted a link to her annual letter - which had her address listed at the bottom.  Obviously, God wanted me to send her a meal.

Of course, I mentioned this to The Cowboy, knowing he would think I was a freak.  I mean, who thinks God tells them to send a meal to a stranger?

He thought I should do it.  Of course.

I'm not proud of what I'm about to tell you.

First, I was going to do it, but we didn't have the funds readily available, so I figured I'd do it when I could.  Then, any time I thought about it, I thought of how awkward and...well, weird...it would be to call up the bagel place and order a meal to be delivered to someone I don't know.  Don't ask me why that intimidated me, but it did.

Eventually, it seemed like too much time had passed...it was too awkward...probably all in my head anyway.

Then, we had a falling out this Facebook friend and I.  In passionately discussing theological differences, my Facebook friend was offended.  And unfriended me.

It all became so clear...in fact, I had an inkling while our discussion was going on...  "This is why you asked me to do that, wasn't it, Lord?  How can I have credibility with this woman when the extent of our relationship is Facebook - when the extent of my care for her has only been trying to persuade her that her theology is faulty?"

{I did try to reach out to her immediately afterward, but it was clear that the damage was done and her feelings were irreparably offended.}

I told myself that was a lesson learned - and repented of my disobedience.

{updated: the bagel place is delivering breakfast to her family this week.}

The Way to Do it


Fast forward to today.

My sister had a very challenging day ahead.  Due to crazy politics at work, she had a considerably stressful meeting ahead of her.  I mean serious mind-blowing stuff that our whole family has been praying about for weeks.

As my sister was headed to work for the delicate meeting, she talked herself out of buying a coffee at the local health food store.  As she traveled on, the Lord put it on her heart to go back and get that coffee.

Really?  Does God care if she had a coffee today?

Unlike her thick-headed sister, this servant of God listened.

She turned around and went in to get her coffee...where she encountered her preacher and three elders who were meeting and, knowing absolutely nothing about what she had been going through at work or the meeting that awaited her, prayed over her - and for her family.

So, this is for those of you who tend to be more like me and less like my sister.  From here on, I choose to listen.

The first time.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Very good Shawnele. I have been there with ya so many times......I want to listen the first time too. God has good stuff for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenay, when I think of people who listen to God well, you're one of the ones I think of.

      Delete
  2. Sister - you listen so well to the Lord; the timing will be right for that breakfast she is getting. Thank you for your love and dedication to Our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sister. I am loving watching you grow in the Lord and stand strong in Him!

      Delete

I LOVE polite, kind, thoughtful comments. Please leave one (or more)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...